Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Probe widened to bust syndicate behind P5.8-b shabu smuggling

INTELLIGENCE units of the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other law enforcement agencies have launched an intensified investigation with a view to dismantling a perceived international drug syndicate behind the P5.8-billion packages of “shabu” that was intercepted in the coastal waters off Paluan, Occidental Mindoro.

PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said part of the investigation aims to identify all personalities involved in the drug smuggling, including local contacts comprising the distribution network of the syndicate. 

- Advertisement -

“The synergy among government agencies that led to this successful operation will be more forceful in running after all those responsible for the attempt to smuggle this multi-billion pesos worth of illegal drugs,” Nartatez said.

Troops of the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division earlier discovered 43 sacks containing shabu in a speedboat found abandoned along the coastal waters of Occidental Mindoro.

Based on initial assessment by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, the seized illegal drugs weighed around 860 kilograms with an estimated market value of ₱5.8 billion.

Thirty more packs of suspected shabu were later discovered during follow-up operations while four people, including two foreigners, were so far arrested. 

Nartatez directed police operatives to intensify follow-up operations to apprehend all individuals who may be connected to the drug-smuggling operations. 

“I have instructed our police units to pursue all leads and ensure that anyone involved in this illegal drug operation will be held accountable,” he said.

The PNP chief also said they are currently working with the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and other law enforcement agencies in conducting the investigations to dig deeper into the massive drug smuggling operations.

“This will not end here. The investigation and pursuit operations will continue until all those responsible are identified and held liable,” said Nartatez who went to Occidental Mindoro to personally assess the situation on the ground.

He explained that the confiscation and successful follow-operations proved that all the security plans anchored on coordination and interoperability of government agencies against all forms of crimes were working. 

“This successful operation shows that our approach to eradicating illegal drugs is effective. And our efforts to further improve this to produce maximum results will continue in the interest of the Filipino people,” Nartatez said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img