The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has filed criminal complaints before the Department of Justice against online personalities Jay Sonza and Jeffrey Celiz for allegedly spreading false medical information about President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
In a statement Monday, the NBI recommended their prosecution for cyber libel under the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. “In an era where information can rapidly influence public perception, we remind all stakeholders that freedom of expression carries with it the responsibility to ensure accuracy and accountability,” said NBI Director Angelito DLP. Magno.
The NBI Cybercrime Division conducted surveillance last month that led to the identification of Sonza and Celiz as primary sources of the alleged misinformation. Sonza posted the content on his Meta-verified Facebook account, while Celiz aired it on his YouTube channel, which drew nearly 10 million views.
The posts showed a CT scan report alongside images of the President and questioned his “fitness for duty,” alleging deterioration in his medical condition. Investigators secured digital forensic screenshots and tracked the spread of the content even after the original posts were deleted or restricted.
Aside from cyber libel, the two also face complaints for unlawful use of means of publication under Article 154 of the Revised Penal Code in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act.
Magno said the bureau remains committed to curbing malicious misinformation, stressing that while free speech is protected, it “is not absolute and does not grant a license to infringe upon the rights of others.”







