The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has asked law enforcement agencies to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the death of Maria Catalina Cabral, the former undersecretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
According to the Cordillera police office, Cabral was found unconscious and unresponsive near the Bued River at Kennon Road Thursday night. She was linked to the multibillion-peso flood control project scandal.
Initial police reports showed that Cabral was traveling with her driver earlier in the afternoon on Dec. 18 when she allegedly requested a stop along Kennon Road and asked to be left there.
When the driver returned later and was unable to find her, he sought assistance from the police.
The ICI is investigating the alleged corruption scheme related to peso flood control projects, which involved lawmakers, DPWH officials, and private contractors, from 2016 to the present.
“Usec. Catalina Cabral was one of the central figures in the ongoing investigation of anomalous government infrastructure projects. As the former undersecretary for planning, she was no doubt privy to vital information,” said ICI Executive Director Brian Keith Hosaka in a statement.
“We therefore ask law enforcement agencies to immediately secure and preserve all her documents, gadgets, and computers for possible digital forensics examination. The commission likewise calls for a prompt and thorough investigation of the death of Usec. Cabral to ensure that there is no foul play. Should authorities determine one, it is possible that those responsible may also be connected to the anomalous infrastructure projects.”
“The commission extends its condolences to the bereaved family and friends of the former DPWH undersecretary.”
The ICI invited Cabral as a resource person for a hearing scheduled on Monday, but the resigned DPWH official failed to appear.
Cabral was named among the individuals recommended on Nov. 6 by the commission to face charges from the Office of the Ombudsman in relation to the alleged ghost project in Bulacan worth P95 million.
The project was implemented by the DPWH Bulacan 1st District Engineering Office through contractor Topnotch Catalyst Builders Inc. The project entails the construction and enhancement of slope protection structures and waterways at Barangay Bambang.
Hosaka said the ICI has continued its investigation by coordinating with relevant government agencies, with a particular focus on gathering evidence and building cases in relation to its mandate to investigate anomalous infrastructure projects.
He said the commission prioritizes examining the 80 alleged ghost flood control projects, which involve 15 leading contractors identified by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
The allegations regarding ghost projects have sparked concerns about transparency and accountability in government contracting processes.
The Office of the Ombudsman on Friday likewise directed authorities to preserve the mobile phone of Cabral following her unexpected death.
In a message to reporters, Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano emphasized that they need Cabral’s phone at all costs.
“The Ombudsman’s office directs the authorities in Benguet to take custody of and preserve the cellphone and other gadgets of former Usec. Cathy Cabral,” he said.
Clavano added that the same is to be turned over to the investigators at the proper time.
Meanwhile, Manila Standard also sought the comment of the Department of Justice (DOJ) for possible further investigation of the incident.
The former DPWH official was linked to alleged irregularities in the country’s flood control anomalies.







