Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Palace okays plan to tap UNCAC in hunt for Zaldy Co

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said the Philippine government is open to tapping the United Nations Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) to track down and arrest fugitive resigned Ako-Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co.

In a press briefing on Monday, December 15, Castro said the government is coordinating with relevant authorities and the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) to issue a ‘red notice’ for Co.

- Advertisement -

“Yes, we can explore UNCAC as it has international cooperation mechanisms, but it will have to depend on the country. Countries are obliged to provide as applicable and in accord with domestic law [unclear] possible mutual legal assistance to each other,” she said.

“However, Presidential UNCAC Inter-Agency Committee with the ES (Executive Secretary) as chair should be convened as it implements and monitors UNCAC,” Castro noted, citing information from Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Theresa Lazaro.

Castro was responding to the suggestion of Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo ‘Ping’ Lacson, who proposed that the government explore UNCAC to locate Co. The fugitive ex-lawmaker is facing charges of malversation and graft related to alleged flood control anomalies.

Concerning the Department of Justice (DOJ), Castro said there has been no active coordination with the UN regarding this issue.

“Sa parte naman po ng DOJ, base po sa kanila, wala pa pong aktibong ugnayan with UN at invocation of UNCAC. Interpol pa lang po ang coordination (As for the DOJ, based on their information, there is currently no active communication yet with the UN or invocation of UNCAC. Coordination is only with Interpol),” she said.

Additionally, Castro also took note of the comments from Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla, who said the matter has been referred to the Commission for Transnational Crimes.

“I am certain that the option mentioned by Senator Ping is part of the agenda,” she added.

Earlier, DFA said the Philippine Embassy in Portugal has not yet received any information about Co’s location.

Lazaro announced on December 10 that Co’s passport had been canceled to enforce both the Sandiganbayan’s resolution and a directive from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img