Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Plunder, malversation raps readied vs. Bong Revilla

THE Office of the Ombudsman mulls malversation and plunder charges against former senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. following the recommendation of the Independent Commission for Infrastructure to file charges against him and 10 others.

In an interview with television host Karen Davila on Monday, Dec. 8, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla confirmed that his office was also building up cases against senators Francis Escudero and Mark Villar, as well as former senators Nancy Binay and Grace Poe.

- Advertisement -

In another development, Remulla said that Ilocos Norte 1st District Rep. Sandro Marcos and former House Speaker Martin Romualdez will also be investigated.

Remulla likewise disclosed that contractor Sarah Discaya is currently “under surveillance” due to her alleged involvement in an anomalous flood control project in Davao Occidental.

The Ombudsman said there was enough evidence against Revilla who was linked to the flood control mess by former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo and ex- district engineer Henry Alcantara.

“Most of it will be, I think malversation will be the predicate crime. Possible plunder…It’s something that is ongoing right now. I don’t know at what stage is the preliminary investigation,” Remulla said.

Bernardo testified earlier that he delivered P125 million in six cardboard boxes, each containing at least P20 million, and one paper bag containing P5 million to Revilla’s residence in December last year.

Bernardo said he instructed his aide to deliver another P250 million to Revilla’s residence before the campaign period for the 2025 national elections began.

Remulla also disclosed they are looking for possible witnesses to Revilla’s case.

Revilla and resigned Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Zaldy Co have also been cited as additional respondents in the flood control complaints before the Department of Justice, according to Prosecutor General Richard Fadullon.

Revilla has denied the allegations against him, saying he has become an easy target for those seeking to twist the truth.

“I have lived my life facing all challenges thrown my way. I did not run. I did not hide. I did not back down, I won’t back down now.  And because truth is on my side, I will face it unafraid and with confidence,” he stressed. 

Revilla was previously detained and charged with plunder for his alleged involvement in the P10 billion pork barrel scam of Janet Lim Napoles, but was later cleared by the anti-graft court.

When asked if an arrest warrant may be issued, Remulla replied: “Possible… maybe next week.”

“We’re doing the case build-up now. We’re doing preliminary work. Everything that needs to be done, we’re doing, Remulla said.

In a media interview over the weekend, Remulla said that Discaya is still in the Philippines.

“She is under surveillance, so we will know. We started doing that even before this happened. She is in Pasig (City).”

He also said Discaya’s husband, Pacifico Discaya, remains in detention at the Senate.

For his part, Philippine National Police acting chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez, Jr. confirmed that they have dispatched intelligence and tracking teams to locate Discaya.

He made the remark after the lawmakers were tagged as “pork barrel kings” in an investigative report from the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ).

“Follow the evidence, where the evidence leads us, we will have to go. We will not pick anymore, where the evidence leads us, we will go. We will bring it to the proper forum,” Remulla said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img