Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

PH athletes safe from Songkhla flooding, to be relocated by PSC, Thai SEAG organizers

FOLLOWING the floodings in Songkhla, the Philippine Sports Commission is now coordinating with the Philippine Embassy in Thailand to find suitable places where national athletes can stay in Bangkok.A  state of emergency was declared by Thai authorities following the situation in Songkhla, with event organizers of the 33rd Southeast Asian Games saying they would relocate the sports originally scheduled to be held there to Bangkok and Chonburi.

PSC chairman Patrick Gregorio said the agency is in close coordination with Philippine ambassador Millicent Cruz-Paredes and Thai authorities in monitoring the situation, and with floods now receding in Songkhla.

- Advertisement -

“All the athletes are taken cared of. They will transfer to Bangkok. We are coordinating with the ambassador to Thailand,” said Gregorio.

 There are reportedly 28 athletes and coaches, mostly from the national pencak silat team in Songkhla, but are confirmed safe,  as the floods swept through the province last week.

Members of the national pencak silat remained at their hotel rooms, while the floodings were taking place. 

Songkhla was initially set to host 10 sports, including men’s and women’s football, chess, pencak silat, wrestling, judo, and muay Thai.

The province experienced its worst rainfall in years in Thailand as organizers made the  decision to relocate the games’ competitions to the capital city.

A meeting with representatives from several nations finalized this decision on Thursday last week.

Concerns were raised among member  countries and the delegations participating in the games, which will run from December 9 to 20.

The decision to move venues to Bangkok was  due to the danger posed by the devastating effects of the floods and the risk of possible disease outbreaks.

Chaiyapak Siriwat, the vice president of the Olympic Committee of Thailand and chairman of the SEA Games Organizing Committee, discussed the urgent need for relocation during an online meeting with National Olympic Committee officials.

The meeting included Philippine Olympic Committee president Abraham Tolentino.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img