LEADERS of the Church-based Trillion Peso March Movement (TPMM) on Monday invited the faithful to join their upcoming second “Trillion Peso March” on Nov. 30, asserting that the rally is not a call for President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to step down, but an appeal to hold accountable those involved in alleged “ghost projects” and misuse of public funds.
Bishop Julito Cortes of Dumaguete likewise rejected calls for extra-legal action, insisted that any response to corruption must respect democratic institutions, and stressed the need for impartial investigations and fidelity to the Constitution.
Meanwhile, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) reiterated its rejection of unconstitutional means to change the country’s leadership, particularly calls for military intervention.
Caritas Philippines president Bishop Jose Colin Bagaforo said the Church’s position is unequivocal: Filipinos must confront corruption head-on.
“With one voice and one message, let us continue to denounce corruption and demand justice, transparency, and accountability,” Bagaforo said.
“Our advocacy is clear. The Trillion Peso March is not to bring down the regime. We are not calling for the resignation of our (corrupt) national officials, for them to be jailed, and to return the funds they have stolen,” he said.
“We don’t support any forces calling for a military junta, revolutionary government or similar actions. In other words, we adhere to the call of the Constitution that we should follow democratic processes,” added Bagaforo.
“Emotion must never eclipse reason,” Cortes stressed.
According to the coalition, corruption and political dynasties are among the causes of poverty in the country. It further junked calls for a leadership transition, adding that there “should not simply be a change of guards, but a change in the system.”
This as LAIKO, a Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP)-linked lay organization, urged Catholics to join simultaneous protests in Manila, Bacolod, Iloilo, Cebu, and Cagayan de Oro.
The AFP statement comes a week ahead of the Nov. 30 protest rallies against corruption and amid an alleged destabilization plot against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.,
In a post on its Facebook page, the military stressed that it remains a “professional, disciplined, and non-partisan institution committed to serving the people and protecting the Republic.”
“We believe that the fight against corruption must be pursued through constitutional, transparent, and lawful processes – never through force, intimidation, or military intervention,” the AFP said.
“Our duty is to defend the nation, uphold democratic institutions, and safeguard the peace,” it added.
The AFP then urged its personnel and the people to “unite in saying “No” to military intervention,” adding that the military’s strength “lies in its loyalty to the Constitution and to the Flag.”
The military made the remarks a week before the November 30 protests against corruption and the flood control controversy organized by the Kilusang Bayan Kontra Kurakot (KBKK) and talk of an alleged destabilization plot against the Marcos administration.
Earlier this month, Malacañang said the military’s intelligence community is verifying the claim of an alleged destabilization plot after veteran journalist Ramon Tulfo posted a list of personalities allegedly linked to the plot on his social media account.
The Department of National Defense (DND) also dismissed talk that former military officials were involved in the supposed plot, while AFP chief of staff Gen. Romeo Brawner Jr. said they are checking if active members are involved in any plot against the government.
Last week, AFP personnel renewed their oath to remain non-partisan and to defend and uphold the 1987 Constitution amid talk of an alleged destabilization plot against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.
Previously, the KBKK said the Nov. 30 protests will be held at the Luneta, EDSA, and various venues across the country. The rallies are aimed at urging the government to initiate more actions and reforms in safeguarding public funds amid the ongoing probe of anomalies in flood control projects.
The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) said it will be on full alert starting Nov.28 in preparation for the massive protests. The Philippine National Police (PNP) also previously said it will maintain its full alert status ahead of the anti-corruption rallies.







