Budget watchdog Social Watch Philippines (SWP) on Sunday urged senators to increase allocations for marginalized communities as the chamber continues deliberations on the proposed 2026 national budget.
The group recommended adding P233.2 billion for programs serving vulnerable sectors while identifying P297.4 billion in items it said were questionable and suitable for realignment.
SWP warned that the Universal Health Care program remains underfunded despite PhilHealth’s request for P242 billion for next year. PhilHealth is set to receive only P53.3 billion, a level the group said would undermine efforts to provide adequate insurance coverage.
SWP proposed an additional P189.28 billion for the National Health Insurance Program to fund premiums for indirect contributors and expand access to care, saying the request had been excluded by the Department of Budget and Management in the National Expenditure Program.
Programs for marginalized students under the Department of Education were also flagged for persistent underfunding. SWP noted that less than two percent of the DepEd budget is allotted to inclusive education initiatives such as Indigenous Peoples Education, Special Needs Education, Madrasah Education, and the Alternative Learning System.
“Yet subsidies for private schools have grown faster than programs supporting public school equity, widening educational inequalities,” it added.
SWP proposed P28 billion to strengthen ALS, special needs education, early childhood development, teacher support, and education in emergencies.
Weak protection for children facing online sexual exploitation was also raised, citing hundreds of thousands of cases recorded in 2022. Reporting remains low, the group said, with only three percent of children aware of available helplines.
It recommended P122 million for 38 Department of Health hospitals that operate Women and Children Protection Units, and P18.298 million for child participation programs aimed at preventing online exploitation.
SWP said it presented its proposals to the office of Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson on November 17 and submitted documents to other senators as well.







