Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Flashback

“There are many more events in the impeachment saga that led to President Estrada’s downfall”

Sometime in July 2000, then Rep. Raul Daza of Northern Samar approached me to ask about preparations for the mid-term elections of 2001. I was then a member of President Joseph Estrada’s Cabinet as Presidential Adviser for Political Affairs. I was likewise general manager of the Philippine Tourism Authority.

He intimated there was talk about the president’s involvement in jueteng, that “larong lupa” (which is how then PNP Chief Ping Lacson called it) numbers game, which could be grounds for impeachment. Before that, my compadre, former tourism undersecretary Jun Campillo, also alerted me about whispers around town.

- Advertisement -

I set up an audience with Pres. Erap, together with then executive secretary Ronny Zamora and Daza.

Daza talked about the importance of winning big in the mid-terms, because it is likely that an impeachment complaint would be initiated in the next Congress.

Erap scoffed at it, and when I described the scuttlebutt around town, with Chavit Singson disclosing his participation in the illegal numbers game, the president was nonchalant and even challenged his detractor(s) to come up with evidence, “beyond reasonable doubt.”

The three of us were aghast, and ES Zamora warned the president that an impeachment case was a political trial, not a court trial where reasonable doubt could exculpate the accused.

Months later, we were all at the Cultural Center on Oct. 1 for the formal gala opening of the musical Ms. Saigon, its first showing in Asia, which the presidential son, JV Ejercito, myself and others like future ES Bingbong Medialdea brought to the country.

During the cocktails, some friends whispered to me that Chavit was on the “warpath,” and damage control had to be done.

By then, PNP Chief Ping Lacson was raiding jueteng operations all over, and a proposed “long-term” solution to the numbers game which infected mostly the lower income bettors was being discussed through both the PCSO and Pagcor.

Days later, after the president spoke before the League of Mayors at the Manila Hotel, an unexpected event transpired at the vicinity of the Western Police District headquarters nearby.

Chavit Singson’s convoy was stopped by police operatives, and fearing an ambush, he called the Ilocos Sur mayors who had just left Manila Hotel to come to his rescue. Media was likewise called, and the whole “ambush” became banner story.

Singson promised to reveal “all” in a press conference scheduled the following Monday at the Club Filipino. The president was in Siargao for the ceremonial opening of an international surfing event. I approached him and suggested that a crisis meeting be called when we returned to Manila late that afternoon.

He pooh-poohed the brewing tempest, saying “away lang ni Atong at Chavit ‘yan.” I said, “lalaki po ito,” to which he irritably responded “ikaw na lang magtawag.”

So I called up ES Zamora, then press secretary Dong Puno, and asked them to call the DILG, PNP, AFP top honchos as well, as we were already on board the presidential plane.

Meanwhile, always on the alert, then PMS assistant secretary Boying Remulla started scouring through COA findings on Singson’s “activities” as Ilocos Sur governor, his tomato processing plant, his tobacco operations, and others.

That Friday night, when Boying presented his findings, I wanted the same released immediately, so that come Monday, Chavit can be on the defensive during his presscon. But DILG secretary Fred Lim cautioned us, and said, “kausapin na muna namin si Chavit, maa-ayos pa ito.”

I argued that Chavit had already crossed his Rubicon, “wala nang ayusan ito,” but the elders prevailed. They just gave Chavit ammunition, later showing CCTV footages of Lim and even the presidential son visiting him in his house, predictably refusing their entreaties.

There are many more events in the impeachment saga that led to President Estrada’s downfall.

One mistake led to another, and the president himself was in a state of attention paralysis.

Government was at a standstill; everyone was glued to the impeachment trial that followed after then Speaker Manny Villar stealthily sent the impeachment articles to the Senate.

I even resigned in disgust on Nov. 3, the day after then Trade secretary Mar Roxas went to the palace to submit his resignation. I kept warning the president, but he failed to listen and act accordingly.

On Jan. 21, 2001, the president left Malacanang, an act which was interpreted by the Supreme Court as “constructive resignation,” and vice-president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo was sworn in as “acting” president.

All these and more are in a book I have finished writing late last year, but political events since then made me decide to add my take on present events in this benighted land.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img