Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Mayor Isko challenges Manila bets to win overall Batang Pinoy title in ‘26

AFTER rewarding Manila’s young sports heroes for their breakthrough performance in the recent Batang Pinoy National Championships held in General Santos City, Mayor Isko Moreno is daring them to aim even higher in 2025.

Moreno personally awarded cash incentives to the athletes and coaches in a simple ceremony at Manila City Hall on Monday. Each gold medalist received ₱10,000, silver medalists took home ₱5,000, and bronze medalists earned ₱3,000.

- Advertisement -

The mayor couldn’t hide his pride over Team Manila’s remarkable rise from 84th place last year to fifth overall in the week-long youth sports event.

“Next year, kaya n’yo ba mag-number one?” Moreno challenged the athletes. “Nagawa n’yo nga ‘yung parang imposible — from No. 84 to No. 5. Tingin ko hindi imposible na mabalik sa number 1 ang Maynila. With the guidance of your parents, your coaches, and your dedication, tingin ko next year, madadale natin ‘yun.”

The mayor said the city’s incredible rise in rankings — powered by 43 golds, 37 silvers, and 32 bronzes — was a “quantum leap” that demonstrated the skills and talent of Manila’s youth. Last year, the contingent managed just one gold medal.

“Galingan n’yo. Pasensya na kayo kung kakaunti lang ‘yan,” Moreno said of the incentives. “Gusto ko lang kahit paano meron kayo maiuwi — treat yourselves, after all the hard work, puyat, pagod, practice, and so on.”

The bulk of Manila’s medals came from the swimming team, which made waves early on before the city slid to fifth place by the tournament’s end.

The city’s athletes were scouted and trained under the leadership of Manila City Sports Council director Dale Evangelista, a former national water polo player and coach, who assembled a lean but formidable delegation.

Pasig City emerged as the overall champion for the second consecutive year, holding off a fierce challenge from Baguio City. Pasig tallied 95 gold, 72 silver, and 87 bronze medals, narrowly beating Baguio’s 91-72-74 haul. Davao City came in third with 53 golds, while Quezon City slid to fourth with 45 golds.

This year’s Batang Pinoy saw the return of full-scale competition after pandemic disruptions, and Manila’s resurgence is seen as a sign of even greater things ahead.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img