Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Rody joins Bato in filing TRO vs. ICC arrest warrant

A manifestation was filed before the Supreme Court (SC) seeking the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) to prevent government agencies from implementing a warrant against Senator Ronald ‘‘Bato’’ Dela Rosa.

Aside from Dela Rosa, former President Rodrigo Duterte was also listed as a petitioner in the 25-page manifestation filed by lawyer Israelito Torreon and shared by SMNI with Manila Standard.

- Advertisement -

The petitioners also asked the High Tribunal to issue a writ of preliminary injunction enjoining the respondents from coordinating the implementation of the red notice and surrender request against Dela Rosa.

They further prayed that the SC direct the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to submit written certifications confirming receipt of any ICC-related warrants through official channels.

Last week, Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla confirmed ‘‘on good authority’’ the issuance of an ICC warrant.

In a separate interview with Manila Standard, lawyer Ismael Sarangaya Jr., who teaches private international law, explained that the issuance of a TRO is ‘‘merely a provisional remedy and the merits will still have to be resolved.’’

‘‘Now, if the SC sides with Bato, it would have an impact on the legality of Duterte’s surrender, although we all agree that the ICC will not be bound by that decision. But it would expose those who effected the arrest and surrender to possible administrative and/or criminal liability,’’ he said.

Sarangaya, who is the associate dean of the Philippine Christian University College of Law, noted that the SC may still rule on Duterte’s case given the importance of the constitutional question.

Senator Ronald ‘‘Bato’’ Dela Rosa, meanwhile, posted on social media expressing his faith amid reports of an alleged International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant against him.

In two separate Facebook posts on Thursday, November 13, Dela Rosa was seen holding an image of the Santo Niño and in another photo with Father Cianno Ubod of the Compostela Parish Church in Cebu.

‘‘My patron saint, my kabirthday always in January. Viva Pit Señor Santo Niño!’’ his first post read.

Meanwhile, his second post was about his first personal encounter with Ubod.

‘‘Times like these, we need to seek some guidance from our spiritual adviser. Thank you, Father Ciano,’’ he said.

To recall, Dela Rosa skipped the resumption of Senate sessions twice this week.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img