The Department of Justice (DOJ) will hold a preliminary probe next week on the case involving five ghost flood control projects in Bulacan.
In a message to justice reporters on Monday, DOJ spokesperson Polo Martinez said, “The first hearing is scheduled on November 10, 2025, at 1:00 p.m.” He also confirmed that subpoenas were served to the respondents last week.
Among those involved in the case are Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) engineers Henry Alcantara, Brice Hernandez, Arjay Domasig, and Jaypee Mendoza.
In a separate briefing, Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon expressed confidence that around 60 individuals linked to the anomalous flood control projects will be jailed before the end of the year.
“I think it won’t be long, and the first case filed on September 13 will move forward. Because of that, you will see the first people who will be imprisoned.
As I said, I think many will spend Christmas in prison in the next few weeks and months,” Dizon said in Filipino.
In response, Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano affirmed Dizon’s statement, saying they are employing a whole-of-government approach to address corruption.
“That is definitely the goal. As they say, as soon as today, hopefully there will be a case in custody. We have a process to abide by, and these are things we have to respect because that is part of due process,” Clavano said in Filipino.
He added that the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI), the DOJ, and the Ombudsman are working together to consolidate data on pending cases.
“The ICI, the DOJ, and the Ombudsman are coming together to collate all our information. We want to present to the media and the public all pending cases in each of our offices so it’s clearer. We can have a sort of dashboard showing how many cases have been filed, who filed them, and the status of those cases so we can look at the issue more holistically,” he said.
The DOJ earlier said it aims to conclude the preliminary investigation within a month to allow for the prompt filing of charges in court. The Office of the Ombudsman previously deputized the DOJ to investigate the anomalous projects.
Clavano also clarified that the Ombudsman will continue to act on information submitted by the ICI, even if the Supreme Court (SC) rules the commission unconstitutional.
“The referrals will stay because they were given to us while the ICI was functioning. The information is also subject to validation and verification here in the Office of the Ombudsman. So, if for example, the ICI is declared unconstitutional, we can still act on the information referred to us because it is part of our mandate to act on any complaint given to us in any manner,” Clavano explained.
He added that the commission serves as an additional tool for fact-finding and investigation, and that its absence would not halt ongoing anti-corruption efforts.
“Even without the ICI, we still have a lot to work with—the PNP is there, the NBI is there, and right here at the Ombudsman, we have fact-finding investigators. We just need to focus more on the issues without the ICI,” he said.
“All the recommendations already given by the ICI to the Office of the Ombudsman are here and pending. As stated in the law, we can act on any complaint filed in any manner,” he added.
Last week, a senior high school teacher asked the High Tribunal to review Executive Order (EO) No. 94 issued by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., which created the ICI, and to determine its lawful creation and scope of authority.
The petitioner argued that the ICI’s creation is similar to the Philippine Truth Commission, which the SC previously declared unconstitutional.
For his part, President Marcos expressed confidence that the ICI—a commission created to probe anomalous flood control projects—is standing on firm legal ground.







