The Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Friday announced a 60-day suspension of Makati Express Cargo Inc.’s (MECI) accreditation as a deconsolidator or consignee, following its alleged failure to comply with a show cause order to settle outstanding duties and taxes.
The suspension came after reports showed that MECI had numerous containers of Balikbayan boxes left unclaimed and unpaid across several ports in Cebu, Manila International Container Port and Davao, the BOC said.
It said some of these containers had already overstayed and were declared abandoned.
The show cause order was issued on Oct. 23 and required the company to settle the unpaid duties and taxes.
It also directed the freight forwarding company to explain within three days why its accreditation should not be revoked and its BOC transactions prohibited.
Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the BOC would continue to enforce accountability and protect the welfare of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs).
“We remain committed to ensuring that all forwarding companies comply with customs laws and that our kababayans can trust that their hard-earned shipments reach their families safely and without delay,” Nepomuceno said.







