Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Thailand’s Suwannarut fires 64 to seize early lead; Mondilla, Tabuena five shots back at International Series Philippines

Thailand’s Sarit Suwannarut produced a scintillating 8-under-par 64 to take the first-round lead at the International Series Philippines presented by BingoPlus on Thursday, setting an early benchmark at Sta. Elena Golf and Country Club.

The 26-year-old from Bangkok carded nine birdies and one bogey in a composed but aggressive display that left him one shot clear of Japan’s Kazuki Higa. Former world No. 1 Dustin Johnson followed two strokes further back after a 67.

- Advertisement -

“I just felt free out there,” Suwannarut said. “I was seeing my lines clearly and everything was rolling. I’ve been trying to keep things simple and trust my swing.”

Nicknamed “Safe” for his calm demeanor, Suwannarut was anything but conservative on Thursday, continuing the big-hitting form that brought him two Asian Tour victories — the 2022 BNI Indonesia Masters and the 2023 Volvo China Open, which he won by six shots.

After a difficult stretch earlier this year, Suwannarut said a week-long family break in Japan helped him reset. He also returned to the putter he used during his Indonesia triumph, which again proved decisive on Sta. Elena’s slick greens.

Higa carded a seven-under 65 to stay close, while Johnson posted a five-under 67 in a round featuring nine birdies, offset by two bogeys and a double bogey on the 15th hole.

Among the Filipinos, Clyde Mondilla and Miguel Tabuena led local hopes with matching three-under 69s, five shots off the lead. Mondilla, from Bukidnon, closed strongly with three straight birdies on holes seven to nine to move into the top 15.

“I just stayed patient,” Mondilla said. “The putts finally started to drop near the end.”

Tabuena recovered from a slow start to finish his round with birdies on 15, 16, and 17. A heavy approach on 18 ricocheted off a sprinkler head into a bunker, but he calmly saved par before an appreciative home crowd.

Veteran Angelo Que and Justin Quiban opened with two-under 70s, joining former Masters champion Patrick Reed in a large group tied for 34th. Quiban eagled both the par-5 third and eighth holes.

Further down the leaderboard, Carl Corpus, Enrico Gallardo, and Keanu Jahns were at level par 72. Sean Ramos and Rupert Zaragoza carded 74s, while Aidric Chan shot 75. Amateur Perry Bucay finished with a 77.

Suwannarut leads at eight under, with Higa (65) and Johnson (67) within striking range. The second round of the $2 million event resumes Friday.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img