Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Court asks police to enforce TRO vs. anti-mining barricade in Nueva Vizcaya

A Nueva Vizcaya court has directed the Philippine National Police to enforce a 20-day temporary restraining order (TRO) against anti-mining protesters in Dupax del Norte and affirmed the legality of Woggle Corp.’s exploration permit, authorizing the company to proceed with its government-mandated mineral exploration activities.

The court order, issued Oct. 16, 2025, directed the PNP of Nueva Vizcaya and the sheriff to fully implement the TRO previously issued by the court and “further authorized and directed to arrest any persons who willfully disobey, obstruct, or resist the implementation of the said Order, and to file appropriate charges against then for indirect contempt of court and other offenses under existing laws.”

- Advertisement -

The order clears the way for Woggle to resume exploration in Barangay Bitnong, one of the five barangays of Dupax del Norte town, where protesters had blocked access by setting up a barricade along the road and preventing company personnel from entering the site.

Presiding Judge Paul Attolba Jr. of Regional Trial Court Branch 30 in Bambang, Nueva Vizcaya, issued an initial 72-hour TRO on Oct. 10, 2025, against Florentino Daynos, Jun Roduta and other protesters, identified in the petition. This was eventually extended to 20 days, or until Oct. 30, 2025.

The order stops the defendants from installing or maintaining a barricade along Keon Barangay Road, Sitio Keon in Barangay Bitnong, specifically near the area adjoining Keon Road and the National Highway Aritao-Quirino Road.

The defendants were also ordered to stop preventing vehicles, personnel, employees, contractors, representatives and agents of Woggle from passing or entering Keon to access the exploration area.

The court said Woggle demonstrated that it would suffer irreparable damage if the TRO was not issued, as the barricade would cause significant disruption to its exploration, resulting in substantial losses.

“The court finds that the plaintiff has shown a clear and unmistakable right that is being threatened or violated where they will suffer grave injustice and irreparable injury if the TRO is not issued immediately,” the court said.

The court also asked the Provincial Director of the Nueva Vizcaya Police Provincial Office to accompany the sheriff in serving the court order.

Woggle was issued Exploration Permit No. 00030-II by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) on Aug. 4, 2025, covering 3,101.11 hectares in five barangays in the municipality of Dupax del Norte, Nueva Vizcaya.

Woggle, represented by Fredo Mina, employees of drilling contractor Indodrill, and a representative from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), were prevented from entering the exploration area on several occasions between Oct. 6 and 7, 2025.

The court said it considered the allegations and documentary evidence in deciding the case, noting that Woggle was issued a valid and existing exploration permit by the DENR-MGB. It noted that the respondents without legal authority had barricaded the road leading to the exploration site, preventing the plaintiff from conducting its lawful exploration.

The TRO will enable Woggle and FCF Corp. to determine the full potential of mineral resources that can be developed as a major economic driver that will benefit the province of Nueva Vizcaya.

FCF Minerals, incorporated in 2001, operates the Runruno Gold Project in Quezon, Nueva Vizcaya, which has been producing gold since 2016. FCF Minerals has generated over P5.71 billion in taxes, fees and duties since commercial operations began in 2017.

FCF Minerals, a multi-awarded mining company, explores opportunities to expand its operations in the Philippines.

Metals Exploration chief executive Darren Bowden previously said the company was confident in its new exploration project. “We have a great opportunity to quickly unlock value from the Dupax del Norte project and hopefully extend the ore processing operations at Runruno,” he said.

“Woggle’s is the next stage in FCF development, focusing on maintaining operations at Runruno and ensuring the livelihood of 1,200 employees and their dependents will be sustained into the future,” Bowden said.

The mining firm has contributed significantly to the local economy and community development in Nueva Vizcaya, including infrastructure projects, education support and health care services.

The company, which prioritizes responsible mining practices, environmental protection and community development, has received several awards, including the Presidential Mineral Industry Environmental Award for Surface Mining Operations and the Safest Mining Operation Award.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img