The Commission on Elections has issued a show-cause order to Senator Francis Escudero, requiring him to explain a P30-million campaign donation he received from contractor Lawrence Lubiano, president of Centerways Construction and Development Inc.
Poll chairman George Garcia made disclosure on Saturday, saying the donation was made during Escudero’s 2022 senatorial bid.
Garcia said Escudero has until October 13, 2025 to respond to the order, either personally or through a lawyer.
Escudero, for his part, welcomed the show-cause order, insisting he did not violate any law when he received the donation for his 2022 campaign.
“We welcome the opportunity to prove that…no law has been violated,” Escudero said in a statement.
The senator earlier confirmed that Centerways donated P30 million for his campaign, but said the company did not benefit from any flood control project in Sorsogon or other parts of the country.
Garcia said the proceedings will determine whether the donation violated Section 95 of the Omnibus Election Code which prohibits any contribution from any public or private institution, including contractors, to any political candidate or political party.
Garcia previously said show cause orders would be issued to contractors who donated to political candidates in the 2022 polls.
He said at least 43 contractors donated to seven candidates for national positions, meaning senators and legislative district congressmen, while 15 gave to political parties and party-list groups.
At least nine contractors gave funds to governors and vice governors.







