The Commission on Audit (COA) has filed a new report with the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI), flagging ‘‘paid ghost projects’’ under the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in Bulacan.
In its report, COA said several flood control projects under the DPWH First District Engineering Office (DEO) either do not exist, were transferred to another location, or failed to meet approved specifications.
The commission warned that those involved may be held liable for graft and corruption under the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, malversation and falsification of documents under the Revised Penal Code, as well as violations of COA Circular No. 2009-001 and the Government Procurement Reform Act.
Among the flagged projects was the P92.6-million flood control structure in Barangay San Roque, Baliuag, implemented by SYMS Construction Trading.
‘‘During COA’s inspection on September 24, 2025, no flood control structure existed at the approved location. DPWH-Bulacan 1st DEO instead pinpointed COA to a different location but offered no explanation for the change,’’ the report said.
‘‘Despite this COA proceeded to inspect the site identified by DPWH, where it found an existing structure that utterly failed to meet the project specifications,’’€ it added.
The report also noted that the DPWH-Bulacan 1st DEO ‘‘failed to submit a significant number of critical supporting documents to COA.’’Despite these lapses, SYMS Construction was ‘‘fully paid.’’
Another case involved a P92.7-million project along the Angat River in Barangay Taal, Pulilan. The supposed flood control structure turned out to be only ‘‘an abandoned slope protection structure,’’ also paid in full and lacking key documentation.
Those named as liable include SYMS Construction owner Sally Santos, District Engineer Henry Alcantara, and Assistant District Engineer Brice Hernandez.
Other irregularities were found in a P69.4-million Riverbank Protection Structure in Barangay Bagong Silang, Plaridel, contracted to Topnotch Catalyst Builders, Inc., which COA described as ‘‘mismatched.’’ Another flagged project was a P96.5-million riverwall in Barangay Pagala, Baliuag, contracted to Triple 8 Construction and Supply, Inc.
During an inspection on September 23, COA also found a non-existent flood control project at its identified location. ‘‘While DPWH-Bulacan 1st DEO representatives pinpointed the location project at another location. At the pinpointed location, COA found a flood control structure which drastically falls short of the approved plan,†the report said.
‘‘The audit’s findings will be crucial for the ongoing investigation conducted by the ICI against those involved in irregularities in government infrastructure projects,’’ COA added. ‘‘As COA fulfills its mandate… the public can expect more fraud audit reports to be filed with the ICI.’’
So far, the commission has filed 17 fraud audit reports with the ICI and the Ombudsman.







