Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Two senators in tussles with lawyer vlogger, radio host

Senator Francis Escudero has asked the Supreme Court to disbar lawyer Jesus Nicardo Madarang Falcis III, accusing him of repeatedly making defamatory and baseless social media posts that violated the Code of Professional Responsibility and Accountability (CPRA).

In a copy of a verified complaint sent to reporters, Escudero cited at least seven public Facebook posts by Falcis from July to September 2025 that allegedly used “abusive, demeaning, and malicious language” against him.

- Advertisement -

He said the remarks not only damaged his reputation but also undermined the dignity of the legal profession.

Among the posts quoted in the complaint were Falcis’ remarks calling Escudero “sinungaling” (liar), “bulok na keso” (rotten cheese), and the “worst Senate President in history.”

Sen. Rodante Marcolate, on the other hand, was caught on mic calling a radio host stupid after the end of an acrimonious interview about his wife’s being an officer of an insurance company that did business with a company of the Discayas.

The confrontation took place on the program “Parekoy,” aired by DWAR Abante Radyo, where host Marlo Dalisay pressed Marcoleta on supposed ties involving his wife, Edna Marcoleta, and Curlee and Sarah Discaya.

The Discaya couple are known contractors who also own an insurance company, and the host suggested that the senator’s wife may have a connection to their firm.

Marcoleta firmly denied any association with the Discaya couple and rejected the insinuation of improper dealings.

The exchange grew heated as the senator sought to cut the interview short amid repeated questioning.

As the call ended, Marcoleta was caught on video angrily muttering an insult at the host before hanging up.

Following the backlash, Abante Radyo issued a statement apologizing for the on-air confrontation.

The station stressed that “Parekoy” is a blocktime program, meaning its hosts purchase airtime and produce their own content independently.

“We remain steadfast in our duty to deliver fair, just, and balanced reporting, in accordance with the highest standards of journalistic ethics,” it said.

Falcis has allegedly accused Escudero of orchestrating PHP142 billion worth of budget insertions in the 2025 national budget, linking these to alleged pork barrel allocations and to political allies.

Escudero, who attached copies of the posts as annexes to his petition, argued that Falcis violated multiple provisions of the CPRA, including the use of undignified language, imputing misconduct without basis, and posting unverified or false statements on social media.

“The sheer nature and impact of respondent’s posts and the irresponsible conduct that characterizes them sadly merit a specie of bar discipline beyond mere warning, reprimand, or even suspension,” he said.

Escudero asked the SC to remove Falcis from the Roll of Attorneys, stressing that his acts “compromise the dignity of the legal profession” and “virtually sentence complainant in the bar of public opinion that now exists in cyberspace.”

Escudero said Falcis had previously been cited for direct and indirect contempt by the SC in connection with an earlier case, which he said showed “a propensity to violate and continue to violate” ethical rules.

The complaint was filed with the Office of the Bar Confidant in Manila and supported by Escudero’s judicial affidavit.

The CPRA, adopted in 2022, requires lawyers to act with propriety, respect, and courtesy at all times, including in online platforms.

It specifically prohibits lawyers from posting false or unverified statements and from using abusive or intemperate language, whether in traditional or social media.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img