Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Elusive ex-DPWH exec faces Blue Ribbon today

Former Usec. Bernardo may drop bombshell of his own

Former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) undersecretary Roberto Bernardo is set to take center stage at the Senate today, where he is expected to deliver a potentially explosive tell-all before the Blue Ribbon Committee.

Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson yesterday confirmed Bernardo’s attendance, saying the former official had already submitted a prepared affidavit and also signaled plans to file a supplemental affidavit.

- Advertisement -

“I don’t know if he will change his mind. He already submitted a previous affidavit, but he said he would file a supplemental one,” said Lacson, who also chairs the Blue Ribbon panel.

Bernardo’s appearance comes after his name surfaced in earlier hearings linking him to anomalous flood control projects that allegedly cost billions of pesos.

On Tuesday, former DPWH Bulacan district engineer Henry Alcantara accused Bernardo of orchestrating kickbacks from these projects to several lawmakers.

Alcantara identified Senators Jinggoy Estrada and Joel Villanueva, former senator Bong Revilla Jr., Ako Bicol Representative Zaldy Co, and former Caloocan Representative Mitch Cajayon as alleged recipients.

He testified that in 2022, Bernardo started releasing project funds to his district office, with a standing agreement that 25 percent would be diverted to political proponents.

Lacson had earlier flagged Bernardo’s ties to Pampanga-based Globalcrete Builders, a firm that secured over 2.5 billion pesos in contracts during the term of DPWH Secretary Manuel Bonoan.

Corporate records linked Bernardo’s daughter, Sunshine, to MBB Global Properties, which included Bonoan’s daughter and relatives of Candaba Mayor Rene Maglanque as incorporators.

Senator JV Ejercito said Bernardo’s testimony could shed more light on systemic corruption within DPWH’s flood control projects.

Ejercito called Alcantara’s exposé shocking but argued that Bernardo’s account would be more pivotal in reform efforts.

He said the kickback scheme appeared compartmentalized, with different engineers assigned to project execution, negotiations, and dealings with higher officials.

Ejercito then urged his brother, Senator Jinggoy Estrada, to present his full defense if he truly had no role in the controversy.

In a separate interview, Senator Erwin Tulfo said all fingers are pointing to Bernardo, who is considered the superior of Hernandez and Alcantara, and stressed the need to get to the bottom of the allegations.

Bernardo is a civil engineer who hails from Malolos, Bulacan.

He held various important positions within the DPWH, including that of Undersecretary for Regional Operations, where he oversaw projects in several regions.

Before being appointed undersecretary, he was named OIC-City Engineer on secondment status at the request of then-Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada.

In June, Bernardo flew to the United States to seek medical treatment but returned home the following month.

According to him, he is currently on medical leave due to a debilitating spinal condition and has denied allegations of corruption and being sacked from the DPWH.

However, Public Works Secretary Vince Dizon earlier said that Bernardo was no longer with the Department when he assumed the post on September 1.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img