Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Peru protests strand 1,400 tourists

PERU – Peru evacuated some 1,400 tourists overnight from the train station that serves the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, while about 900 others remained stranded Tuesday as protesters blocked the railway tracks, officials said.

A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1983, the ancient fortified complex receives some 4,500 visitors on average each day, many of them foreigners, according to the tourism ministry.

- Advertisement -

Residents placed logs and rocks on the tracks Monday to demand a new company be chosen to run the buses that ferry visitors from the Aguas Calientes train station, at the foot of Machu Picchu, to the site itself.

“We managed to evacuate about 1,400 tourists” stuck at the train station in an overnight operation before a fresh blockade Tuesday, Tourism Minister Desilu Leon told RPP radio.

Authorities have not said where the visitors were from.

A police statement said 14 agents were injured in clashes with protesters during Monday night’s temporary unblocking of the tracks.

After the evacuation was halted, trapped tourists told AFP authorities had suggested they walk for several hours to catch a train or some other means of transport out of the Machu Picchu area.

“In my case, I can’t do it because my wife is pregnant,” said Chilean visitor Miguel Salas.

Leon said a meeting was planned with local authorities and unions “to find a solution” to residents’ complaints.

Visitors arrive at Aguas Calientes by train from the city of Cusco — the Inca empire’s ancient capital — some 110 kilometers away.

From Aguas Calientes they can take a bus to the entrance of the citadel, and return the same way.

The previous bus firm’s contract had come to an end after a 30-year concession, but it has continued to provide services much to the ire of residents, who demand a new company, responsive to their interests, be chosen in a fair bidding process.

Machu Picchu was built in the 15th century at an altitude of 2,500 meters (about 8,200 feet) on orders from the Inca ruler Pachacutec.

It is considered a marvel of architecture and engineering, but has repeatedly been the scene of protests by locals pressing home their social demands.

In January last year, some 1,200 tourists also had to be evacuated from Machu Picchu. Many never even lay eyes on the site. AFP

A year earlier, the complex was closed for 25 days during protests over the impeachment and arrest of then-president Pedro Castillo.

Tourism is key to the economy of Peru.

Meanwhile, a neighboring district commissioned another bus company to provide services in its place, but protesters in Aguas Calientes prevented it from operating.

Meanwhile, PeruRail’s local unit said “third parties” had excavated part of its rail route, which affected the track’s stability and slowed down the evacuation of tourists.

New7Wonders, a campaign group which highlights global sites of major cultural heritage, said in a statement over the weekend that it had sent a letter to Peru’s government warning that if the conflict escalates, Machu Picchu’s credibility as one of the new Wonders of the World could be affected.

A global poll organized by the group had in 2007 selected Machu Picchu as a world wonder, alongside the Great Wall of China, India’s Taj Mahal and Mexico’s Chichen.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img