Protests okay; power grab attempt illegal
Malacañang on Tuesday admonished groups calling on the military and other uniformed personnel to withdraw support from President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., saying the Armed Forces must not be politicized.
In a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the military must not be used by certain groups for political gain or efforts to destabilize the government.
“In this protest, let us not involve the military or uniformed personnel because this protest should come from the people, and they (AFP) should not be used to cause destabilization,” she said.
The military earlier cautioned the public against using soldiers and police officers for partisan agenda, affirming its commitment to upholding the Constitution and remaining loyal to the chain of command.
Castro also warned against actions aimed at toppling the government under the guise of public protest.
“The President respects the voices of the people. Whatever their grievances may be, the President hears and feels them,” she said.
“Just don’t mix in other intentions aimed at bringing down the government — that is against the law,” the Palace official added.
On Tuesday, the military said there is no politics behind its declaration of red alert status amid the ongoing anti-corruption rallies.
“Our red alert declaration is for national security in general and not for any political color,” AFP spokesperson Col. Francel Padilla said.
The AFP was placed on red alert starting Sept. 12 ahead of nationwide demonstrations calling out alleged corruption in government infrastructure projects, particularly those for flood control.
Two rallies are scheduled on Sept. 21 at Rizal Park in Manila and at the People Power Monument in Quezon City.
Padilla said the declaration of red alert is standard security protocol for the military during major events to ensure that troops are ready to respond to any eventuality.
She also said that such action is not meant to sow panic, adding that the AFP will only play a “supporting role” to the Philippine National Police.
For his part, PNP acting chief, Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said they will be discussing safety measures with the organizers of the Sept. 21 movements.
“We fully understand the concerns raised by our kababayans on this issue. These concerns are valid and the planned protest action in relation to this issue is a legitimate exercise of democracy that must be respected,” Nartatez said.
“This coming Sunday, let’s not consider the police as your enemy, but instead as your partner in ensuring that your right to express your thoughts is heard and respected…There are no indications so far of any serious threat to this activity—and your PNP intends to keep it that way,” he added.
Earlier, President Marcos said he does not blame people for taking part in street protests “one bit” as anger mounts over alleged substandard and even “ghost” flood control projects.
“Do you blame them for going out into the streets? If I [weren’t] President, I might be out in the street with them,” he said when asked about the protests set for Sept. 21.
“Of course, they are enraged, they are angry—I’m angry. We should all be angry because what is happening is not right.”
“You have to remember: I brought this up and it is my interest that we find a solution to what has become a very egregious problem,” the President added.
Mr. Marcos, however, called on protest organizers to keep the rallies peaceful.
“Make them answerable for the wrongdoings that they have done. Let them know your sentiments, scream, do everything—demonstrate, just keep it peaceful,” he said.
For his part, Akbayan Rep. Perci Cendaña earlier called on the people to be vigilant as forces, particularly those aligned with the Dutertes, are attempting to hijack the people’s legitimate anger.
“Let’s hold everyone accountable, especially the looters during Duterte’s era. Remember, the illegal wealth of the Discayas swelled during the previous administration,” he said.
“Billions are the unexplained flood control and infrastructure projects of the previous administration. Let us never forget, especially since they try to cover it up, and try to use our anger for their own interests. Let’s not allow that,” Cendaña added.







