Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

P355-m Bulacan flood control project funds traced to Senate insertion


Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo Lacson on Thursday confirmed a P355-million insertion for flood control projects in Bulacan under the 2025 national budget.

Lacson said his staff discovered the allocation after verifying claims by former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan first district assistant engineer Brice Hernandez that Senator Jinggoy Estrada funneled projects to Hagonoy and Malolos.

“We found one. There was indeed an insertion. It was not in the House version but appeared after the bicameral conference. It is clear that it was inserted either in the Senate version or during the bicam,” Lacson said.

Lacson added five projects were identified under the allocation with contracts already awarded.

Hernandez previously testified before the House of Representatives that Estrada’s office demanded a 30 percent kickback from the projects.

Estrada denied any involvement and rejected the allegations linking him to the supposed deal.

During the September 9 House Infra Committee hearing, Hernandez presented photos of what he said were messages with a staff member named Beng Ramos, whom he claimed was connected to Estrada.

Hernandez alleged that Ramos coordinated the delivery of kickbacks through WJ Construction, a company identified as handling the transactions.

Estrada denied Ramos worked under his office and clarified that she was assigned to the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.

Lacson disclosed that his office obtained Senate CCTV footage showing a representative of WJ Construction, identified only as Mina, entering the building on August 19.

“We already have an idea where she went and whose office she visited, but we will summon her to confirm exactly who she met. Whether it was a staff member of the Blue Ribbon Committee or a legislator, the senator concerned should explain if it was their office she visited,” he concluded. 

The Senate Blue Ribbon Committee is preparing to resume hearings on September 18, focusing on alleged anomalies in flood control projects.

The inquiry will also summon the so-called Bulacan Group of Contractors, who were previously tagged in alleged irregularities.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img