SEOUL – Hundreds of South Koreans detained in a massive US immigration raid were being released Thursday to begin the journey home, Seoul said after warning the “bewildering” episode could have a chilling effect on future investment.
South Koreans made up the majority of the 475 people arrested last week at a Hyundai-LG battery factory site in the state of Georgia, triggering a delicate effort to resolve the thorny situation between close allies.
Seoul confirmed that the “release process was underway” for the workers, who were set to fly back to the South on a chartered plane due to arrive home Friday afternoon.
Photographs run by the Yonhap news agency showed the workers gathering around buses, some seen smiling and waving after spending days in US detention. AFP
South Korea is a staunch security ally and major investor for the United States, with its top companies pouring billions into developing factories and plants in America.
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called the raid “bewildering” and noted it could have a chilling effect on future investment.
Lee blamed the raid on “cultural differences” saying that in South Korea, American nationals teaching English while on a tourist visa was not seen as “a serious issue”.
After the detentions, South Korean companies “can’t help but question whether setting up a plant in the US is worth the potential risks,” Lee said.
“This could have a significant impact on future investment decisions, particularly when evaluating the feasibility of direct operations in the US,” he added.
Many South Korean companies have relied on bringing in their own workforce during project development periods, with industry sources telling AFP it is common practice to use visa workarounds to bring in skilled labor and avoid project delays. AFP







