Quezon City has recorded 6,872 dengue cases from Jan. 1 to Aug. 17 this year, a 155 percent increase as compared to the 2,503 cases in the same period last year.
The Quezon City government noted that children, aged 10 years old and below, are most at risk.
“Most of those affected by the disease are children ten years old and below with 3,407 cases. At least 23 deaths have been recorded,” the LGU said on its official Facebook page.
The surge in cases came as the Department of Health reported a parallel spike nationwide.
In a recent update, the DOH said that cases of dengue in the country slightly increased following the monsoon rains and typhoons that hit the country in July.
It said that a total of 15,091 dengue cases were recorded from July 13 to 26 when tropical cyclones Crising, Dante, and Emong brought heavy rains and flash floods.
The DOH said this number reflected a seven percent increase from the 14,131 cases logged from June 29 to July 12.
“The DOH remains on alert for dengue cases in the country, and dengue fast lanes remain active in DOH hospitals,” it said.
Residents are urged to clear stagnant water where mosquitoes breed, wear protective clothing, and use repellents, particularly during early morning and late afternoon when dengue vectors are most active.
Families were also advised to strengthen immunity through proper nutrition and hydration and to seek immediate medical care if symptoms appear.







