Santiago, Chile—A 7.5 magnitude earthquake rattled the Chilean Antarctic region and the southern Drake Passage on Thursday, the US Geological Survey said.
There was no threat of a tsunami from the quake, which took place at 10:16 pm (10:16 a.m. Friday in the Philippines), at a depth of 6.7 miles (10.8 kilometers), the survey said in a statement.
Drake Passage is a turbulent, 500-mile-wide strait between South America and Antarctica, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
The National Tsunami Warning Center confirmed that a tsunami was not expected.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) also released an advisory, saying this particular seismic event did not warrant a tsunami alert.
“No destructive tsunami threat exists based on available data. This is for information purposes only and there is no tsunami threat to the Philippines from this earthquake,” Phivolcs said.
Chile’s national disaster response service (Senapred) described the earthquake as “medium intensity” and said a “precautionary alert” had been issued for the Antarctic territory.
A source from the Chilean interior ministry said “there is no danger for the Magallanes region,” the southernmost inhabited area of the South American continent.
The state of precaution “requires abandoning beach areas” and “rocky shores” of the national Antarctic territory, according to Senapred.







