Manila Mayor Francisco Moreno Domagoso vowed on Tuesday night to safeguard city residents and tourists alike amid security concerns following the fatal shooting of two Japanese nationals in Malate.
“It may be an isolated incident because, for a long time, nothing like this has happened. This can happen in other countries, but one thing is for sure — justice will be served,” he said in a press briefing.
The shooting incident happened last week along Malvar Street, where the victims were gunned down after stepping out of a taxi.
The arrested suspects were identified as brothers Abel Manabat y Nuqui and Albert Manabat y Nuqui, both hail from Minalin, Pampanga, while one suspect remains at large.
Meanwhile, the investigators revealed that the Japanese tourists were targeted after being identified by a suspected mastermind based in Japan, who allegedly offered payment for their killing.
Domagoso recognized the efforts of the law enforcement authorities who acted swiftly in the arrest, adding that they will continue to work with the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and the Japanese Embassy to resolve the case.
“As we have promised the people of Manila, we may not stop all crimes at the very moment they happen, but we will make sure justice will be served… If you committed a crime in Manila, we will look for you wherever you go,” said Domagoso.







