Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

DICT launches multi-billion fiber backbone project in Mindanao

The Department of Information and Communication Technology (DICT) has launched phases 4 and 5 of the National Fiber Backbone (NFB) in Butuan City on Aug. 11, a key part of the P16.1 billion Philippine Digital Infrastructure Project (PDIP). The initiative aims to close the country’s digital divide.

DICT Secretary Henry Aguda said the project would lay more than 1,000 kilometers of high-speed, government-owned fiber network to connect key cities in Mindanao, including Butuan, Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon, Zamboanga and Davao.

- Advertisement -

“For so long, fast internet seemed to be available only in big cities: Manila, Cebu, Davao,” Aguda said. “But now, we have a clear directive from our President himself: ‘Ayusin ang koneksyon. Simulan sa mga probinsya.'”

He said the network would initially serve government offices, state universities, local government units and hospitals, with plans to eventually extend connectivity to every barangay or village.

“Mindanao will no longer be the last to connect; it will be among the first to lead,” he said. “This is the start of inclusive development, digital equity, digital justice and digital empowerment.”

Aguda said the project would lead to faster, more reliable and more affordable internet across Mindanao. He also said the rollout would position Butuan as the “digital gateway of Mindanao,” attracting investments in data centers, technology hubs and rural business process outsourcing (BPO) facilities.

Jennifer Gui, a World Bank Group task team leader who attended the launch, cited the importance of investing in reliable internet to unlock the potential of Filipinos. She said the milestone aligns with President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s vision and the World Bank’s Country Partnership Framework (2025-2031).

“We are very proud to support the government of the Philippines in building the foundation of an inclusive, secure and climate-resilient connectivity in the country,” Gui said. “This initiative will open doors to education, health care, government services and economic opportunities, especially in remote areas. Let me congratulate the DICT on your vision and determination. We look forward to closely working with you to ensure this investment delivers a long-lasting impact and helps the Philippines achieve its ambitions for a prosperous, inclusive society.”

The PDIP, the country’s first digital infrastructure program backed by the World Bank, was approved by the National Economic and Development Authority–Investment Coordination Committee (NEDA-ICC) Board in June 2024.

It aims to extend the NFB into the Visayas and Mindanao, expand the “Free Wi-Fi for All” program with a focus on Regions XI and XII and strengthen national cybersecurity measures.

The Butuan launch marks the start of procurement and mobilization for NFB phases 4 and 5, with implementation to follow. The project is a cornerstone of the “Bagong Pilipinas” vision, enabling resilient governance, inclusive economic growth and an empowered citizenry.

The project is expected to connect 772 previously unserved public beneficiaries, reducing the digital divide in Regions XI and XIII from 28 percent to 20 percent.

“Watch over the fiber lines. Do not allow them to be damaged or stolen. Use technology for good, for business, for education. Tell your neighbors: we are now connected,” said Aguda.

The project will activate National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) dark fibers and install active equipment along existing submarine cables across the Visayas, extending the backbone into Mindanao.

Aguda assured stakeholders that the DICT is acting with speed and precision. “This is not just a ribbon-cutting. This is the beginning of real digital change,” he said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img