Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Napolcom eyes police generals in ’sabungero‘ case

The National Police Commission (Napolcom) on Thursday said it is looking into the possible involvement of several police generals in the disappearance and alleged execution of cockfighting enthusiasts collectively known as the ‘‘missing sabungeros.’’

At a press conference in Quezon City, Napolcom Vice Chairperson and Executive Officer Rafael Vicente Calinisan said the probe goes beyond the testimony of accused-turned-whistleblower Julie ‘‘Dondon’’ Patidongan, also known as ‘‘Totoy.’’

- Advertisement -

‘‘Let’s just say that 18 were charged by Totoy, 12 were charged by our legal service, but Napolcom’s investigation is ongoing. We still have a few more names that haven’t been made public and we are pursuing these,’’ Calinisan said.

He noted that this follows the directive of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to dig deeper into the case, especially regarding police involvement.

‘‘No stone unturned. The President’s instruction is simple”investigate properly. There are no sacred cows. We’re not afraid of anyone, regardless of rank. We have generals under investigation,’’ he added.

Patidongan earlier implicated former NCRPO chief Lt. Gen. Jonnel Estomo (retired) and other active police officers. Estomo has denied any involvement and accused Patidongan of defamation.

‘‘I categorically deny my involvement. I will present evidence to clear my name. There is no sufficient evidence linking me to the case,’’ Estomo said in a statement. ’’Only the truth” not the words of others’ should prevail in the search for justice.’’

Estomo said he is ready to face any inquiry and has instructed his lawyers to prepare criminal charges against Patidongan for ‘‘malicious and baseless accusations.’’

Earlier this week, Napolcom imposed a 90-day preventive suspension on 12 active police officers named by Patidongan, including Col. Jacinto Malinao Jr., former Batangas provincial police director.

Malinao is facing administrative charges of grave misconduct, grave neglect of duty, and conduct unbecoming of a police officer. Napolcom clarified that the suspension is not a penalty but a procedural step to protect the integrity of the probe.

The suspended officers include Lt. Col. Ryan Jay Orapa, Maj. Mark Philip Almedilla, Executive Master Sergeants Aaron Ezrah Cabillan and Arturo dela Cruz Jr., Senior Master Sergeants Joey Encarnacion, Mark Anthony Manrique, and Anderson Abary, Master Sgt. Renan Fulgencio, Staff Sergeants Alfredo Andres and Edmon Muñoz, and Cpl. Angel Joseph Martin.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice (DOJ) is seeking assistance from the University of the Philippines (UP) and the Japanese government in analyzing bones recently found in Taal Lake.

In a Thursday briefing, DOJ spokesperson Mico Clavano said the department has formally requested help from UP due to the limited forensic capacity of the Philippine National Police (PNP).

‘‘While the PNP is ideally positioned because they were on the scene, they have admitted limitations in capability. So, we’ve asked help from the UP Forensic Pathology and Anthropology departments, and the Japanese government,’’ Clavano said.

The arrangement is being finalized after Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla sent a formal request to UP. Clavano said the goal is to streamline the custody and analysis of the remains.

‘‘We’ll be giving a timeline to UP to help determine how long the individuals have been dead,’’ he added.

The DOJ is also preparing an inventory of the recovered items’ including bones, hair, and clothing alongside reports and photographs from the Philippine Coast Guard. Authorities believe the materials will be crucial in resolving the case.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Napolcom puts top cops under scrutiny in ‘missing sabungeros’ probe”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img