Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Army vows justice if foul play found in rookie soldier’s death

The Philippine Army has vowed to deliver justice following the death of one of its newest members during a reception activity in Brgy. Capiton, Datu Odin, Maguindanao del Norte on July 30, 2025.

The soldier was identified as Private Charlie Patigayon—a 22-year-old rookie from Kolambugan, Lanao del Norte—who collapsed during a traditional reception ceremony at the 6th Infantry Battalion (6IB) headquarters in the said location.

- Advertisement -

Patigayon was among several new recruits recently welcomed by senior military personnel.

Military officials from the 6th Infantry Division (6ID) launched an investigation to determine the circumstances behind his sudden death. Two officers and 19 enlisted personnel were ordered relieved in wake of the incident.

Army spokesperson Col. Louie Dema-ala said the Philippine Army “upholds a zero-tolerance policy against any practices that endanger the safety and well-being of its personnel,” in strict adherence to the Anti-Hazing Act of 2018.

“The individuals involved in the incident have been immediately relieved of their duties and are currently under investigation,” Dema-ala noted.

“We assure Pvt. Patigayon’s family that the Philippine Army is committed to pursuing justice. Should the investigation confirm wrongdoing, those responsible will be held fully accountable under the military justice system and all applicable laws,” he added.

According to a military report, Patigayon collapsed during the morning activity and was immediately brought to Camp Siongco Hospital inside the 6ID compound. He died the following day. Initial medical findings indicated kidney failure as the cause of death.

6ID spokesperson Lt. Col. Roden Orbon confirmed that “some senior Army personnel of the 6IB” were relieved from their posts pending the results of the ongoing investigation.” He declined to provide further details.

“We are still investigating to determine if there are abuses against the young soldier,” Orbon said, adding that there were no initial signs of physical abuse.

He noted that Patigayon’s family had already coordinated with local police in Cotabato City to secure an autopsy report to support the investigation.

In a statement, the 6ID emphasized that reception rites have long been a tradition in the military for welcoming new members, but such activities must prioritize the health and safety of personnel.

“These activities must remain within the bounds of existing military policies and regulations, and any deviation or breach that compromises the welfare of personnel is subject to disciplinary action,” the statement read.

Orbon added that the Army is providing all necessary assistance to Patigayon’s family, including escorting his remains to his hometown in Lanao del Norte. His body is currently at the 6ID mortuary in Camp Siongco, Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao del Norte.

Editor’s Note: This story has been corrected. Location of the incident was revised to Brgy. Capiton, Datu Odin, Maguindanao del Norte—not Maguindanao del Sur as previously reported. Details on the relieved personnel were also added.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img