Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Torre raises over P20m in walkover match

The supposed “battle of the ages” between Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Nicolas Torre III and acting Davao City Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte’s did not push through but nevertheless raised over P20 million worth of cash assistance and relief items for the people affected by the confluence of the tropical storms and the southwest monsoon of habagat.

Torre himself made the announcement after he was declared the “winner by default” as Duterte was no-show Sunday morning at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum for the bout that went viral despite short notice.

- Advertisement -

“Many people paid. We raised about P350,000 at the gates, so we have to show up and give the people what they expect,” Torre told reporters.

“We also have two tons of rice and canned goods amounting to P4.2 million. Thank you for your support,” he added.

Torre also thanked his supporters and for helping PNP raise funds for charity.

The PNP chief said the proceeds and donations will be turned over to the Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Philippine Red Cross through its Quezon City chapter.

Following the make-believe match, the PNP chief visited flood-hit communities near Baseco Port in Manila.

So far, the number of people affected by the southwest monsoon (habagat) and severe tropical storms Crising, Dante, and Emong has reached 6.5 million individuals, or around 1.8 million families.

However, Duterte, who reportedly fled to Singapore two days before the scheduled showdown, hinted that he was keeping his options open and may be ready to box any day next week.

In the second episode of his podcast Basta Dabawenyo released on Saturday evening, Duterte explained the snub, saying Sunday is family day for him.

“I have other things to do on Sunday, but I can fight him on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, any day but Sunday, para may time pa sya mag ensayo kasi yung jab mo (Torre) nakababa agad ang kamay mo, “he said.

At the same time, Duterte 37, sustained his verbal assault on Torre, saying he did not dare the country’s top policeman, now 55, to a boxing match.

“I did not challenge you. All I said was I just wanted to punch somebody. I am glad that you had some workouts, but let’s do it not for charity. Let’s do it man-to-man, no gloves, no camera. I’ll be there in Metro Manila,” Duterte declared.

Torre stressed however, that he had enough of Duterte’s antics.

“I have a lot of work and this is not worth responding to,” he said, when asked if he would still entertain a future challenge from the mayor.

“We exerted a lot of effort in this event. I don’t think he is worth responding to at this point. We should just let him be in his own world,” Torre said with finality.

According to the PNP chief, there was no more to discuss because things have been said and done and there is no more ‘logic’ if he continued to listen to the vice mayor’s statements.

“Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I wonder what kind of supporters he has, knowing he doesn’t stand by his word. We will not align ourselves with those he deceives,” Torre said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img