Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

Marcos off to high-stakes encounter with Trump

President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. departed yesterday for a high-stakes official visit to Washington, D.C., aiming to secure a bilateral trade deal and strengthen the Philippines’ alliance with the United States.

“I’m happy to note that this visit is the first by an ASEAN head of state to the United States under this administration. This visit builds on the active exchanges that we have had since the assumption of the new Trump administration,” Mr. Marcos said during his departure speech at Villamor Air Base

- Advertisement -

The President described the trip as a crucial step in advancing the Philippines’ national interests while the US is led by Donald Trump.

He said his top priority is to push for greater economic cooperation, with a specific focus on expanding trade and investment between the two countries.

President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. delivers a departure statement at the Villamor Air Base in Pasay City on July 20, 2025. He embarks on a three-day working visit to Washington, D.C. in the United States to meet President Donald Trump and discuss issues related to trade and bilateral relations. (Courtesy: Presidential Communications Office)

“I intend to convey to President Trump and his Cabinet officials that the Philippines is ready to negotiate a bilateral trade deal that will ensure strong, mutually beneficial, and future-oriented collaborations that only the United States and the Philippines will be able to take advantage of,” he said.

Mr. Marcos pointed out that the bilateral relationship should continue serving as both a peacekeeping tool and an engine for regional development.

The trip comes amid concern over a proposed 20 percent tariff on Philippine exports to the U.S., which could impact key industries and employment.

The President is also expected to meet with top American business leaders to promote the Philippines as a favorable destination for investments.

“I expect our discussions to focus on security and defense, of course, but also on trade. And we will see how much progress we can make when it comes to the negotiations with the United States,” he said.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Secretary of Defense and the Director of National Intelligence made separate trips to Manila, signaling renewed strategic interest in Southeast Asia.

Also, bipartisan congressional delegations from the U.S. had visited the Philippines in recent months. With Vince Lopez

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline: “Marcos off to Washington for bilateral trade talks with Trump”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img