Research firm Capstone-Intel Corporation lauded the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) for its decisive and forward-looking policy regulating gambling advertisements in the country—marking a critical step in promoting responsible gaming and protecting vulnerable sectors, particularly minors and families.
PAGCOR chairman Alejandro Tengco earlier ordered the removal of all out-of-home (OOH) gambling ads—including billboards, vehicle wraps, transit ads, and other public placements—on or before August 15, 2025.
His directive also prohibits gambling advertisements from airing during primetime television hours between 5:30 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.
Capstone-Intel said the measures were “clear and necessary assertion of state oversight amid an evolving entertainment landscape.”
“This is a strong policy signal. PAGCOR’s move ensures that the promotion of gaming does not overshadow the government’s obligation to uphold public interest, especially where minors, students, and vulnerable individuals may be exposed,” Capstone said.
As early as last year, lawyer Nick Conti, through Capstone-Intel’s public policy arm, had already raised concerns over the proliferation of gambling content and advertisements, calling for more coherent regulatory safeguards to prevent the normalization of gaming in both public spaces and youth-centric digital environments.
Following PAGCOR’s move, GCash, one of the country’s most widely used digital payment platforms, has since removed clickable gambling ad links within its app environment while also enhancing its responsible gambling reminders and partner compliance requirements.
“This demonstrates that when the government sets the tone with clarity and conviction, industry stakeholders will respond appropriately. GCash’s swift alignment with the new guidelines reflects the kind of public-private synergy needed to ensure ethical innovation and consumer protection.”







