Malacañang on Tuesday reaffirmed President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s continued trust in Defense Secretary Gilbert “Gibo” Teodoro amid resurfaced allegations over his previously held Maltese citizenship.
Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said Teodoro had already renounced his Maltese citizenship in 2021, as clarified earlier by the Department of National Defense (DND).
Castro emphasized that the President was aware of Teodoro’s renunciation even before his appointment to the Cabinet.
“The President gives the confidence to Secretary Gibo. Secretary Gibo still enjoys the trust and confidence of the President,” Castro said in a press briefing.
She added that only Secretary Teodoro could speak to the motive behind the renewed circulation of the rumor, but noted that “the timing of the article adds to this motive,” citing the DND’s earlier statement.
When asked whether President Marcos had prior knowledge of Teodoro’s dual citizenship issue, Castro confirmed that the president was aware of the matter.
“Yes, the President knew. It’s on record, even the Comelec (Commission on Elections) and the Commission on Appointments are aware of it,” she stated.
The controversy comes amid speculation over possible reshuffling within the Marcos Cabinet, though no official announcements have been made.
The Palace’s stance mirrors that of the DND, which denounced the report questioning Teodoro’s citizenship as part of a “malicious” campaign, insisting that legal and constitutional requirements were satisfied during his confirmation as Defense chief.







