Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Today's Print

Defense says Gibo is notdual citizen

The Department of National Defense (DND) said Monday that Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro Jr. is not a dual citizen, clarifying that he had already surrendered his alleged Maltese passport before filing his candidacy in 2021 for the 2022 senatorial elections.

“The alleged existing Maltese passport of Secretary Gilberto Teodoro was surrendered and renounced prior to the filing of his certificate of candidacy in 2021,” DND spokesperson Assistant Secretary Arsenio Andolong told reporters.

- Advertisement -

A news report earlier claimed Teodoro possessed a Maltese passport issued on December 22, 2016, which remains valid for 10 years.

Under Philippine law and constitutional provisions, dual citizenship is prohibited for public officials, particularly those holding Cabinet-level positions.

Andolong said the existence of the passport was disclosed to the Bureau of Immigration and the Commission on Elections before the 2022 elections, as well as to the Commission on Appointments before Teodoro’s confirmation as defense secretary.

“The motive of this rumor is clear and known to Secretary Teodoro. The timing of the article only adds to this motive,” Andolong added.

Teodoro was appointed DND secretary by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in June 2023. He previously served in the same capacity from August 2007 to November 2009 under then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Editor’s Note: This is an updated article. Originally posted with the headline “DND: Gibo not a dual citizen, alleged Maltese passport surrendered in 2021”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img