A total of 97,274 people or 31,106 families in Luzon were affected by Tropical Cyclone Bising and the Southwest Monsoon or Habagat, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said yesterday.
In its report, the NDRRMC said the affected communities were reported in the Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
The NDRRMC said that of the total affected population, fifteen people or three families were staying in evacuation centers while 3,026 people or 1,022 families were taking shelter in other places.
Floods were reported in 35 areas, landslides in two areas, and falling debris incidents in two areas amid the bad weather, according to the NDRRMC.
A total of 16 houses were damaged—12 partially and four totally. Three roads remained impassable to motorists.
Classes in 247 areas and work schedules in 36 areas were suspended due to the threat of Bising and Habagat.
Assistance worth P955,117.72 has been provided so far to the victims, the NDRRMC said.
The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) has called on the public to remain alert and take necessary precautions as the southwest monsoon continues to bring rains and thunderstorms across parts of Luzon in the wake of Typhoon Bising.
“Although Typhoon BISING re-entered and exited the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) between July 6 and 7 and is now well beyond the country’s monitoring domain, its lingering effects continue to enhance the monsoon. This has resulted in scattered rains, thunderstorms, and potential flash floods and landslides, particularly in Northern and Central Luzon and the Cordillera Administrative Region.” OCD said in a statement.
OCD also said it is closely coordinating with local government units (LGUs), PAGASA-DOST, and national agencies to sustain preparedness and response efforts. Secretary of National Defense Gilberto Teodoro Jr. supports this unified approach and calls on both the public and the uniformed services to rally behind government efforts for everyone’s safety.
OCD Officer-in-Charge Assistant Secretary Bernardo Rafaelito Alejandro IV highlighted recent improvements in coordination, “Ang isang bagong ginawa natin sa pangunguna ni Secretary Teodoro ay ang pag-establish ng interagency coordination cell sa amin sa OCD, para face-to-face yung interaction and immediate decisions are made right there and then.” This initiative aims to speed up agency responses during rapidly evolving situations.
“The public is reminded to get weather updates only from official sources—PAGASA, OCD, and LGU bulletins. Spreading unverified information may cause panic. Everyone is also encouraged to keep emergency go-bags ready, containing essentials like water, non-perishable food, medicine, flashlights, batteries, hygiene items, important documents, and face masks. Being prepared can save lives and minimize disruption.” OCD added.







