The combined effects of the southwest monsoon rains, locally known as ‘habagat,’ and the recent Typhoon ‘Bising’ (international name ‘Danas’) made life more difficult for a total of 97,274 people or 31,106 families across Luzon, disaster officials said on Wednesday.
Latest report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the affected communities are found in the Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
Of the total affected population, 15 people or three families were staying in evacuation centers while 3,026 people or 1,022 families were taking shelter in other places.
Floods were reported in 35 areas, landslides in two areas, and falling debris incidents were recorded in two areas amid the bad weather, according to the NDRRMC.
A total of 16 houses were damaged—12 partially and four totally—while three roads remained impassable to motorists.
The NDRRMC said the government through its various agencies has so far extended P955-million worth of assistance to calamity victims.
Classes in 247 areas and work schedules in 36 areas were suspended due to the threats of ‘Bising’ and habagat.
The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said in its general weather advisory on Wednesday morning that ‘habagat’ will continue affecting the country for the rest of the week.
PAGASA forecast occasional rains resulting in possible landslides and floods over Pangasinan, Zambales, Bataan, Occidental Mindoro, Batanes, and Babuyan Islands.
Metro Manila, CAR, parts of Calabarzon, the Negros Island Region, Zamboanga Peninsula, mainland Cagayan, the rest of Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, Mimaropa and some Visayas provinces will experience cloudy skies with scattered rains and thunderstorms.







