Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

‘Habagat,’ ‘Bising’ displace 87k in northern Luzon—OCD

THE confluence of the southwest monsoon (habagat) and Typhoon Bising has affected over 82,548 individuals or 27, 400 families in Northern Luzon, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

The agency said the typhoon victims were in Region 1(Ilocos), Region 2 (Cagayan Valley), and the Cordillera Administrative Region.

- Advertisement -

Region 3 appeared to be hit the hardest, logging 80,421 victims equivalent to 26,711 families.

These numbers were doubled compared to just 3,000 to 12,000 figures on Sunday.

Typhoon Bising, with international name Danas, exited the Philippine area of responsibility yesterday morning, according to the weather bureau.

The agency said Bising was expected to move north-northeast before turning northward over the East China Sea today and making landfall over the Eastern China region. 

The government has appropriated assistance to the affected individuals from the three regions.

Meanwhile, Benguet farmers were compelled to harvest their crops earlier due to the rains, with market prices down as sellers offer vegetables such as cabbage at giveaway prices instead of merely throwing them away.

Inclement weather also forced fishermen in Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte to stay on dry land to avoid getting in harm’s way.

The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) reported that 38 areas across Luzon experienced flooding caused by heavy rains spawned by Typhoon Bising and the habagat.

According to OCD officer-in-charge Bernardo Rafaelito Alejandro IV, there have been no reports of casualties or missing individuals so far.

“No major incident. No major flooding in a way as compared to the previous typhoons, 'KLMNOP,” Alejandro said, referring to the consecutive tropical cyclones that hit the country in 2024—Kristine, Leon, Marce, Nila, Ofel, and Pepito. 

The OCD is closely monitoring the situation in Pangasinan as the Agno River poses a risk of overflowing, which could lead to further flooding in surrounding areas.

Alejandro said assistance has been requested for 235 families in Narvacan, Ilocos Sur who were affected by the weather disturbances.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img