Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

Azerbaijan says 193 people killed in Karabakh offensive

Baku, Azerbaijan – Azerbaijan said on Wednesday that 192 of its soldiers and one civilian died in its lightning offensive last week against ethnic Armenian separatists in the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave.

The Azerbaijani health ministry said that more than 500 Azerbaijani troops were also wounded in the one-day operation that ended with a rebel pledge to disarm.

- Advertisement -

The combined death toll from the offensive now stands at more than 400 people.

Armenian separatists have revised up their number of fighters and civilians killed to 213.

The 24-hour blitz ended in a truce deal last Wednesday that could potentially end a conflict that has raged — off and on — for more than three decades.

A brutal post-Soviet war in the 1990s during which the separatists made their gains in the Azerbaijani enclave claimed tens of thousands of lives.

Azerbaijan clawed back a part of that territory in a six-week offensive three years ago during which several thousand were killed on both sides.

Armenian separatists and Azerbaijani officials are now discussing the region’s “reintegration” at Russian-mediated talks.

 

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img