The Department of Foreign Affairs on Sunday that the Filipino seafarer on the oil tanker seized in Iran was in good health and in “good spirits.”
The DFA said issued the statement after Ambassador to Iran Wilfredo C. Santos reported that Philippine Embassy officials had a chance to get onboard the seized MT Stena Impero on July 19, and were allowed to talk to the Filipino seafarer who was one of the oil tanker’s 23 crew members.
“[He] is in good health and in good spirits, and said that the captive crew are treated well and allowed free movement while inside the vessel for their normal duties,” the DFA said.
The hostages were also given the opportunity to communicate with family and allowed Internet access from time to time.
Embassy officials said the Filipino crew member even asked authorities to make sure that his family are taken cared of.
He also thanked his manning agency and the PHL Embassy for their assistance.
The DFA added in its statement that “Embassy representatives assured the Pinoy seafarer they are working on ways to have him and his crew mates released.”
The British-flagged MT Stena Impero is currently at anchor in Iran’s Hormozgan Province, which is also home to a major Iranian naval base fronting the Persian Gulf.
A government of Iran seized the vessel because it had been involved in a maritime accident.







