Thursday, May 21, 2026
Today's Print

International visitor arrivals in PH hit record 6.6m

International visitor arrivals in the Philippines climbed 11 percent in 2017 to hit a record 6.62 million from 5.96 million in 2016, the Tourism Department said Thursday.

- Advertisement -

“We would like to express our sincerest gratitude to all the tourism stakeholders who worked hand in hand with the Department of Tourism in achieving another milestone for the country,” said Tourism Secretary Wanda Tulfo-Teo.

Teo said the 2017 tourism growth was faster than the average regional growth of 6 percent in Asia and the Pacific and 8 percent in Southeast Asia, based on the latest United Nations World Tourism Organization World Tourism Barometer.

Teo said the record arrivals were achieved despite a series of political noise, security concerns and travel advisories against the country  last year.

“We overcame these challenges with the innate resiliency of the Filipinos and the cooperation of everybody. And for that we are very thankful,” Teo said.

Improved air routes and more cruise calls together with travel infrastructure development, travel facilitation, product development and tourism investments drove the industry’s growth in 2017.

South Korea remained the country’s top source market with 1.6 million Korean tourists visiting the country.  Boracay and Cebu were the top destinations of Koreans last year.

China followed with 968,447 arrivals as improved relations between the Philippines and China, added air routes and the Visa Upon Arrival option for Chinese nationals convinced more Chinese visitors to experience the Philippines.  Arrivals from China jumped 43.3 percent.

The United States slid to third place, with 957,813 American nationals visiting the country.

Japan and Australia rounded up the top five markets with 584,180 and 259,433 arrivals respectively.

The Tourism Department said arrivals in December reached 603,062, making it the second best month for tourism, next to January 2017 with 620,121.

“The seven million that some people refer to was a fighting target that we have set for ourselves. Officially the target is at 6.5 million which is embodied in the National Tourism Development Plan and we have achieved it,” said Tourism Undersecretary Benito Bengzon Jr. 

The National Tourism Development Plan projected 7.4 million international tourist arrivals for 2018.

“For this year, with an expanded marketing plan, improved quality, human resource capacity, and service standards, we will continue to push for new and underrated destinations. We are also looking at the farm and faith tourism sectors,” Teo said.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img