Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Today's Print

I advised Pacquiao to quit–Ping

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Monday told  Senator Manny Pacquiao to  quit boxing and become a fulltime public servant while another senator said the judges in the “Battle of Brisbane” should be fired for robbing  their colleague  of his victory  in last Sunday’s fight with Australian boxer Jeff Horn.

Lacson said he remembered  giving Pacquiao the same advice last year before his fight against Jesse Vargas in November 2016.

- Advertisement -

Although  it is Pacquiao’s decision to call it quits or still go on fighting  inside the ring, Lacson, however, said that as a friend and colleague ‘who cares for him and his future,’ he advises the  lawmaker from Mindanao to quit boxing.

Lacson also said that lesson learned in Pacquiao’s loss is—“It is best to leave the stage while the audience is applauding.”

Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto, meanwhile, said the judges in the “Battle of Brisbane” should be fired for robbing the Filipino boxing champion  of his victory.

“Clearly, Manny won. All those who watched the fight know Sen. Manny was robbed of victory,” he said.

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV expressed the same sentiment, saying that the judges stole the victory from Pacquiao.

Saying he remains a big fan of Pacquiao as far as boxing is concerned, Trillanes said he agreed with the general observation that the judges stole that victory from him.

Trillanes, however, said that as long as Pacquiao “believes that he can still fight, just fight and continue to make us proud.”

In an interview over Channel 2’s “Unang Hirit,” Pacquiao said he was disappointed  with the (boxing) officials, referees and judges involved in his bout against Horn. He said they tainted the image of boxing as a sport.

Pacquiao also lamented the referee’s failure to warn Horn on headbutting and other violations and his failure to deduct points on the infractions.

The fighting senator said Horn had time and again grabbed him by the head and tried to choke him.

“The referee should have warned him.  How many times did he do it, repeatedly? There should be deductions.

“He also noted that the accidental headbutts  that happened should also have deductions. “That’s the professional rules. The referee is not knowledgeable.

Most of his colleagues in the Senate, however, said the decision to retire should be made by Pacquiao himself.

Senator Win Gatchalian, meanwhile, said he personally think that Pacquiao can still fight a few more matches.

“At 38 years old, I don’t consider him old for the sport,” said Gatchalian. However, he said Pacquiao now holds two very important responsibilities– as senator of the republic  and a world class boxer. Both responsibilities, he said, are mentally and physically demanding.

“I think he needs to recalibrate himself to adjust to the demands of both responsibilities. “

Senator Sonny Angara, in defending Pacquiao against criticisms on social media, noted that “to be fair to him, since becoming a senator he has had a good attendance record at sessions, with his fights coming during the recess times of Congress.”

Sen.  JV Ejercito said Pacquiao has nothing more to prove. He said Pacquiao is one of the best boxers ever.

“He is a living legend of the sport. And as a friend, I am worried about him especially that we are together now. Boxing is a dangerous sport.”

Ejercito added that everytime Pacquiao has a fight, he finds it difficult to breathe until the fight is over.

“It’s different if it’s your friend fighting.”

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img