Saturday, May 16, 2026
Today's Print

Group asks gov’t to cut pork imports to save hog industry

The Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura (SINAG) over the weekend urged government agencies to reduce pork imports to encourage hog raisers to enhance domestic production.

SINAG chairman Rosendo So said cutting imports would create an economic incentive for local farmers to rebuild their swine herds. He drew a parallel to the rice sector, where the government previously imposed limits after cheap foreign rice caused significant losses for local farmers.

- Advertisement -

“The government saw that situation with rice, so the same approach should be applied to pork,” So said.

He called for this year’s imports—which reached 850,000 metric tons—to be reduced to 550,000 metric tons, arguing that carryover stock from earlier shipments has left a substantial oversupply.

So warned that cold-storage facilities are filled with imported pork that traders are seeking to sell quickly. He said this surplus is depressing prices and discouraging farmers from repopulating.

Imported dressed pork is being sold at roughly P80  to P100 per kilo, with cuts such as kasim (pork shoulder) priced around P120 per kilo. By comparison, locally produced pork is valued at about P165 per kilo live weight—equivalent to approximately P206 per kilo after slaughter and dressing.

So noted that the P120 price for imported pork is significantly below the local production cost of P180  per kilo live weight.

“If dressed imported pork can be bought at P120 per kilo and resold at P150, trader buyers and food outlets will naturally choose the cheaper imported product,” So said. “Who will have the courage to repopulate their swine herds if they cannot earn a living?”

SINAG also reiterated calls for the government to reinstate higher tariffs. The group noted that preferential rates introduced in 2021—15 percent in-quota and 25 percent out-quota—should return to the original structure of 30 percent and 40 percent, respectively.

Industry data indicated that Philippine pork consumption last year was about 1.58 million metric tons, while local production stood at roughly 1.06 million metric tons, implying a shortfall of 520,000 metric tons.

However, SINAG noted that 2025 imports reached 851,760 metric tons, creating a carryover surplus that undermines recovery efforts.

The group urged the Department of Agriculture to adjust import quotas and tariff policies to protect local livelihoods and restore the country’s pork self-sufficiency.

- Advertisement -

Leave a review

RECENT STORIES

spot_imgspot_imgspot_imgspot_img
spot_img
spot_imgspot_imgspot_img
Popular Categories
- Advertisement -spot_img