The Philippine Football Federation is keeping its fingers crossed that it will be able to push through with the 2020 Philippine Football League by May.
PFF General Secretary Ed Gastanes said this after moving the kickoff date of the tournament from April 18 to the latter part of May.
Gastanes said this is due to the situation following the implementation of Enhanced Community Quarantine throughout Luzon, and the increase in coronavirus (COVID-19) infections in the National Capital Region.
“Kung puwede makapag-start na. Pero baka mayroon pang public health emergency,” said Gastanes.
The PFF, in a statement, is urging everyone in within the football community to observe the best practices in combating the virus by cooperating with local and national authorities and be safe and healthy during the on-going state of public health emergency in the country.
Since February, eight international meets throughout the Southeast Asian region have been called off due to ongoing efforts to stop the coronavirus pandemic.
Officials of the Philippine Football Federation said the decision was made by the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) last week.
“We are evaluating the situation on a daily basis and there’s still an ongoing quarantine,” added Gastanes.