Melbourne—World number one Ashleigh Barty and 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams will spearhead the two WTA tournaments in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open, with the top 32-ranked women split evenly across the simultaneous events, organisers said Thursday.
The onslaught of Covid-19 has forced a radical change to how the early 2021 tennis season will look, with the Australian Open pushed back three weeks to February 8.
Players will arrive in Australia from January 15 and undergo a mandatory two-week quarantine before two WTA 500 and two ATP 250 events are held alongside the ATP Cup, all at Melbourne Park.
Organizers have branded it the Melbourne Summer Series and named each tournament after areas of Victoria state.
That will see the women play the Gippsland Trophy and Yarra Valley Classic from January 31-February 6, marking Barty’s first appearance in 11 months after opting out of the US and European swing last year over coronavirus fears.
As well as Williams, the likes of world number two Simona Halep, defending Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin and previous Australian Open winners Naomi Osaka, Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber will take part.
The leading men’s stars, including Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, will compete in the 12-team ATP Cup, which will be run at the same time and at the same venue.
Those that didn’t qualify will play in two ATP 250 tournaments — the Great Ocean Road Open and Murray River Open, featuring top names including David Goffin, Stan Wawrinka, Grigor Dimitrov and Nick Kyrgios.
“There’s no doubt this will be an historic week of tennis, and is the biggest-ever Australian Open lead-in week we have seen,” said Tennis Australia’s major events chief Cameron Pearson.
“While we know the circumstances are unique this year, it is a huge coup to secure such strong playing fields.”
Meanwhile, in Miami, Chilean top seed Cristian Garin will try to win his first ATP hardcourt title at the Delray Beach Open, which on Thursday launches the tour’s 2021 campaign, running concurrently with a tournament in Antalya, Turkey.
Garin, ranked 22nd, and top-ranked American John Isner, 25th overall, lead a 28-player field at the start of a revamped schedule that will not return to US soil until the Miami Open in March.
Britain’s Andy Murray, Canadian Milos Raonic, Japan’s Kei Nishikori and 2020 winner Reilly Opelka are among those who pulled out of the Florida event which begins the run up to next month’s Australian Open.
Garin, 24, made his deepest Grand Slam run into the third round last year at Roland Garros and captured his fourth ATP Tour title last February on clay in Rio de Janeiro.
He gets a bye into the second round and will face either a qualifier or Argentina’s Tomas Martin Etcheverry.
Others with first-round byes include second-seeded Isner, French third seed Adrian Mannarino and Polish fourth seed Hubert Hurkacz.
Isner, 35, owns 15 ATP titles, including 13 on US soil, but has never lifted the trophy at Delray Beach.
American Sebastian Korda, who plays South Korean Kwon Soon-woo, reached the fourth round at last year’s French Open as a qualifier. The son of 1998 Australian Open winner Petr Korda reached the fourth round before falling to his idol, Rafael Nadal.