International Boxing Federation super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas returns to the Survival Camp in Magallanes, Cavite after an exhausting six-week training together with the Naval Special Operations Group at the Naval Station Sangley Point in Cavite City.
Trainer, manager and coach Joven Jimenez informed Manila Standard on Friday that the 28-year-old Ancajas (32-1-2 win-loss-draw record with 22 knockouts) is thankful to the country’s naval force for making him durable and mentally sharp during their intense training with the country's best and finest soldiers.
“We are very thankful to the Philippine Navy and to the NAVSOG for keeping Jerwin (Ancajas) fit and making him an honorary member, but we need to get back to the Survival Camp because we are processing our departure for the US,” said Jimenez.
Ancajas, a native of Panabo, Davao del Norte, expressed his gratitude to the Philippine Navy, led by Vice Admiral Giovanie Carlo J. Bacordo AFP, NAVSOG Commander Captain Dwight Steven Dulnoan PN and Captain Oliver Reforba (Flag Sec) PN for making him an honorary member of Class 82.
“I will try my best not to disappoint my countrymen in my quest. I will do my best to keep the belt,” said Ancajas, who also expressed his desire to capture other world titles by challenging other world champions, like World Boxing Association titleholder Joshua Franco.
Ancajas is fully supported by the Big Boss Cement, headed by owner Gilbert Cruz.
But his fight will depend on Top Rank, headed by Bob Arum, who will decide his opponent once he gets into the United States this August.
His previously postponed bout last April 11 was supposed to be against Jonathan Javier Rodriguez of Mexico, but it is not yet known if the Mexican will still be his opponent.
Other champions in his division are World Boxing Council super flyweight Mexican champion Juan Francisco Estrada (40-3 record with 27 knockouts) and World Boxing Organization Japanese champion Kazuto Ioka (25-2 record with 14 knockouts).
Ancajas tested negative for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) swab test in Makati last Wednesday. Next week, he will proceed to the US Embassy for his visa renewal.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.