With the Philippine Basketball Association returning to its regular three-conference format this year, more ballclubs are expected to come in over the next two years.
Officials of the PBA said this as they get ready for the coming 47th season, which fires off on June 5.
Board chairman Ricky Vargas said they are accepting two new teams and are set to expand to a 14-squad in the next three tournaments.
“There are new teams and new owners in the PBA. That’s why we are looking to expanding,” said Vargas, adding their partnership with the East Asia Super League has compelled the board to open its doors to new applicants.
“Malaking bagay ang pagpasok ng EASL. We are joining the EASL and we want to be competitive,” added Vargas.
So far, a Hong Kong-based club team, the Bay Area Dragons, are set to see action in the league by October.
Converge ICT, which took over Alaska’s franchise, is also forming a competitive squad in time for the All-Filipino Conference, known as the Philippine Cup, next month.
The Philippine Cup is coming back following a two-year absence.
The Commissioner’s Cup is slated October 2 to January 25, with the league taking in the home-and-away EASL during the tournament.
The season-ending Governors’ Cup is set from Feb. 1 to May 10, with out-of-town games and an out-of-the country match in the pipeline.