IN a bid to reinforce his reputation as the best super-flyweight fighter in the world, Jerwin Ancajas is ready to take on all comers, including the fearsome Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzales.
The 25-year-old Filipino, who holds the International Boxing Federation (IBF) version of the 115 lbs. title belt, said becoming the best meant taking on the best fighter today, pound-for-pound.
Gonzales has a record of 46-0, with 38 KOs, and is the current super-flyweight king of the World Boxing Council (WBC).
“Sa timbang po namin siya yung no.1 So kahit sino ang tanungin kung sino ang gustong makalabaan, walang iba yun kundi si Roman Gonzales,” said Ancajas on Tuesday.
The native of Panabo City, Davao del Norte was a guest in the Philippine Sportswriters Association (PSA) Forum at the Phoenix Golden Hotel in Pasay City, two days after successfully retaining his crown in Macau against Jose Alfredo Rodriguez of Mexico.
Complaining of a shoulder injury, the Mexican challenger quit on his corner and failed to come out for round eight, resulting in a technical knockout win for the reigning champion.
Injury or not, Ancajas said he had Rodriguez all taken cared of early in the 12-round fight at the Cotai Arena.
“Sabi sa akin ni coach Joven daanin muna namin sa jab. Nung na-establis na namin yung distance, tuluy-tuloy na yung plano namin,” said the champion, who brought with him his title belt during the session presented by San Miguel, Accel, Shakey’s, and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp.
Ancajas, who fights under the Manny Pacquiao Promotions, said he’ll continue training even if no opponent yet is in the horizon for him.
He’ll relish the opportunity though, if given the chance to be included as undercard in Pacquiao’s next fight or in the future.
The eight-time world division champion is set for an April 23 title defense of his World Boxing Organization (WBO welterweight belt.
“Kung sakali mapasama as undercard s laban niya (Pacquiao), napaka suwerte ko na.,” said Ancajas. “Yun ngang i-promote niya lang ako, malaking bagay na sa buhay ko, malagay pa sa undercard niya.”
Ancajas arrived in the country Monday accompanied by manager –trainer Joven Jimenez and sparring partner Drian Francisco.
The Macau fight was the first defense of his IBF crown since dethroning McJoe Arroyo last year behind a 12-round unanimous decision.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.