A wide mix of film genres will treat movie fans on Christmas Day as the annual Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF), albeit digital or available on-demand online, continues to provide entertainment in its 2020 edition.
Instead of the usual eight entries, the MMFF 2020 will showcase a diverse line-up of 10 movies, ranging from family drama, horror, action, thriller, romance, fantasy adventure to romantic comedy.
The 10 official entries are:
1. Magikland, a fantasy adventure film
2. Coming Home, a family drama film
3. The Missing, a horror film
4. Tagpuan, a romance film
5. Isa Pang Bahaghari, a family drama film
6. Suarez, the Healing Priest, a biopic film
7. Mang Kepweng, Ang Lihim ng Bandang Itim, a comedy film
8. Pakboys Takusa, a comedy film
9. The Boy Foretold by the Stars, a romantic comedy film
10. Fan Girl, a drama film
The entries were chosen based on the following criteria: Artistic Excellence – 40 percent; Commercial Appeal – 40 percent; Filipino Sensibility – 10 percent and Global Appeal – 10 percent.
In partnership with Globe, Upstream, and GMovies, this year’s MMFF makes use of the digital platform to bring Filipino films to the global audience. All 10 official entries will be streamed online beginning Dec. 25.
In compliance with the health and safety protocols for COVID-19, regular activities such as Parade of Stars and the Gabi ng Parangal will also be streamed online.
The MMFF is an annual event held every Christmas organized primarily to promote and enhance the preservation of the Philippine cinema. Proceeds from the film festival go to a number of beneficiaries in the film industry.