Advertisement

Taliban vows to continue jihad vs. US

The Taliban said Monday in Tehran that it will continue its “fight and jihad” if foreign troops do not withdraw from Afghanistan by May 2021 as agreed with the US.

A delegation from the movement headed by its co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar arrived in Iran’s capital last week at the invitation of the foreign ministry and met with Tehran’s top diplomat Mohammad Javad Zarif on Sunday.

“The staying on of troops beyond 14 months, whether American or NATO troops, means the continuation of Afghanistan’s occupation,” Suhail Shaheen, a member of the movement’s negotiating team, told reporters at a press conference.

Washington struck a deal with the Taliban in Qatar in February last year to begin withdrawing its troops in return for security guarantees from the militants and a commitment to kickstart peace talks with the Afghan government.

“We have fought occupation for 20 years. Therefore, in that case, we are forced to continue our fight and jihad,” Shaheen added.

The United States has about 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, down from close to 13,000 a year ago.

Topics: Taliban , Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar , Mohammad Javad Zarif , Afghanistan
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementSpeaker GMA
Advertisement