Advertisement

Tanker death toll rises to 30

Lima―The death toll from the explosion of a gas tanker in Lima last month has risen to 30, Peru’s ministry of health said Thursday. 

Two women and a man were the most recent to succumb to burns from a fireball that occurred when the tanker truck carrying 10,000 liters (2,642 gallons) of liquefied gas exploded on January 23. 

Initially, only two people were killed and 50 injured, but the death toll has continued to rise due to the severity of their burns. 

Investigators believed the explosion was caused when a fuel hose became detached as the truck passed over a speed bump. It ignited a major fire that destroyed several houses and vehicles in the capital’s Villa El Salvador district.

“Our deepest condolences to the relatives,” Defense Minister Walter Martos said Thursday, pledging to visit all of the dozen still-hospitalized victims. 

Martos said reconstruction was set to begin Monday and said the displaced might be relocated to other houses nearby.  

The public prosecutor has accused tanker driver Luis Guzman, 74, of culpable homicide, though investigations are ongoing. 

Topics: death toll , Walter Martos , Villa El Salvador district , Luis Guzman
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement